3 green bell peppers cut lengthwise and cleaned
1 onion, chopped
2 8-oz. packages of sliced mushrooms
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 package ground turkey, cooked
2 8-oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 cup shredded 2% cheddar or mozzarella cheese (This is optional. You can leave off the cheese if you want to lower the fat content in the recipe.)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Wash peppers and cut lengthwise.
3. Saute onions.
4. Add mushrooms to onions. Add salt and pepper as desired. Saute until soft.
5. Add brown rice. Saute for 5 minutes. Transfer everything to a seperate bowl.
6. Brown turkey and season with salt and pepper until no longer pink. Add 1 can of tomato sauce to turkey. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add turkey to bowl with mushrooms, onions, and rice. Stir.
8. Stuff peppers and arrange in baking dish.
9. Pour 1 can of tomato sauce over stuffed peppers.
10. Cover peppers and bake at 350 for 1.5 hours.
11. Remove peppers from oven, and add shredded cheddar or mozzarella on top of each pepper.
12. Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.